I first heard about Dog Shaming on a reluctant readers booklist. I was already familiar with the idea of embarrassed owners putting signs on their dogs from the hilarious Dog Shaming blog, so I ordered several copies of the book for my library. Today was the first time I ever booktalked it, and the 7th graders who came to visit were delighted with this book and checked out my copies right away!
The most important thing about booktalking this book is that your audience needs to see the book while you’re talking about it (so yes, it’s not ideal for an audio podcast, but such is life). I marked off the pages I wanted to talk about beforehand — see my sticky notes in the picture above — and then I showed the class the pictures as I talked about the book. You should all get copies of this book and share your own favorite pictures!
In 2012, Pascal Lemire had several dogs who were sometimes destructive. One night she and her fiancee Mike were at home when they heard a weird chewing noise coming from under the bed, When they went to investigate, they discovered that their dog Beau had been chewing on Mike’s underwear. Some of it was in pieces and some of it was gone because the dog had eaten it. Mike made a sign that said “I am an underwear eating jerk,” put it next to the dog and the half-eaten underwear, and took a picture of it. Pascal posted the picture to her blog, and within 24 hours the post had nearly a thousand comments. The Dog Shaming blog took off after that.
Here are examples of some of the many dog shaming pictures that readers have shared with Pascal, and you can look at these pictures and decide for yourself if you think these dogs are ashamed or not!
- I knocked over the fish food so I could eat it.
- My family went to Disney without me, so I ate my bed.
- I have a high heel fetish.
- I occasionally enjoy a battery with a side of remote.
- I DESTROYED this couch.
- I like to “paint” like my mom when she’s gone. Wish I hadn’t gone with blue …
- I refuse to eat my food out of my bowl. I stand in front of the bowl and cry until my mom puts some on the floor for me to eat. I am spoiled and I am not ashamed!
- I got chocolate and tried to eat the hand that wanted to save me.
- Irene, I’m sorry I ate your flash drive (again). Who knew that was homework?
- I bit the landscaper and now have a record!
- I ate nine red velvet cupcakes. Including the paper. They were delicious.
You can see these and many more dogs who embarrassed their owners in …
Dog Shaming by Pascal Lemire